Friday 5 February 2010

Designer Brands Black Kohl

The people at Designer Brands recently sent me a very generous package of products to test, so watch out for the rest of the reviews coming up soon.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I can be a bit of a make-up snob. Its not very often that I buy low end products and I have low expectations of them. When I tried out DB's Black Kohl I wasn't expecting a lot. I certainly wasn't expecting it to be soft and creamy with great pigment.  

Designer Brands says: Designer Brands Kohl Pencils glide on gently, allowing great eye definition or easy blending for sexy, smoky looks.
Choose from: charcoal, black, black/brown, deep ocean navy blue, violet purple, malachite deep green, silver.
If you are in search of the holy grail of makeup pencils– makeup artist quality at an everyday woman’s price – Designer Brands is sure to appeal.

As you can see in the picture below, the pencil is really long, a lot longer than the average eye pencil. It has a sharpener in the cap which I think is a brilliant idea.

I gave my Black Kohl to a friend to test out and she loved it. She said that it's easy to apply, has great colour, lasts all day without fading or smudging and is easy to remove. 


DB Kohls are a bargain at only $4.99. Click here for stockists.

Will I buy it myself? Yes, I'll definitely be buying more of these pencils. They're huge, soft and easy to apply. Plus, the colour is very rich and intense.

Ingredients: beeswax, iron oxide, black ozocerite wax, mineral oil, isopropyl palmitate, wool wax, carnauba wax, cocoa butter, shea butter, methylparaben, vitamin e, bht.

12 comments :

  1. Because clearly I need more eyeliners!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've always been curious about the DB eyeliners.. ive tried BYS liners and they were dreadful for $3 so i didn't really bother testing DB

    but the swatch looks great, hows the staying power?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to have one of these and loved it, but then I lost it somewhere in my house :| I must find it!

    I love their lipliners and nail polishes too, though the lipliners dont come with a sharpener in the cap D:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got this free with a show bag a while back & I thought it was comaprable to my MAC!

    http://www.lemon-butter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. For $4.99 you do need more eyeliners Rosie ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks great! black pencil liners can be so hot and miss so it's great to see a good cheapie option!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lily, the staying power is great, they last all day no worries at all.

    Silhouette Screams, I'm just about to start testing out one of the lip liners and hoping it's as good as the kohl is.

    Natalie, I agree, it is comparable to MAC, just a hell of a lot cheaper!

    Em, they have a great range of colours too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've added this to my "Career Fair Weekend" shopping list.

    I mean *window shopping* list

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Which reminds me - how does this compare to the Urban Decay 24/7 pencils? They are amaaaaaaaazing!

    Ta muchly xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rosie, I prefer it to the Urban Decay pencils. I find that it's softer and easier to use and it lasts just as well. So are you going to buy it now? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seeing as you so artfully twisted my arm.............ok.

    Hobart, here I come!

    In an aside, are you following Nancy's blog? She has gone cupcake mad!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay!!! Let me know which colours you get and how you like them.

    I didn't know Nancy had a blog. What's the address?

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks so much for your comment!