Monday 10 March 2014

I don't understand the hype

I've been thinking lately about magazine advertising and how a lot of products in magazines are probably featured because they are a big advertiser of the publication. It's got me wondering how trustworthy the magazine recommendations are. Frankly, I rely more on blogs when I'm researching products because I know that the reviews will mostly be honest as the blogger has usually purchased the product themself so has nothing to gain from writing a positive review.

There are some products that are always touted by the media as being amazing and I just don't understand the hype. 

YSL Touche Eclat -I know this is a favourite for many people but I just don't get it. It's a very expensive highlighter, in my opinion there are plenty of highlighters that do just as good a job for a fraction of the cost. Having said that, it does look pretty and for me that's nearly as important as how well a product works.

Maybelline Great Lash mascara - I've purchased this several times and it's crap. It does absolutely nothing for my lashes. I also don't know anyone who likes it, so I don't see why it's so popular.

Lucas Paw Paw ointment - There was a huge fuss a few years ago when people discovered that this contains petrolatum. The whole petrolatum thing is a huge minefield and I'm not going there. Personally I find that products without petrolatum work better for me. 

Invisible Zinc - This just doesn't work for me at all. I know it's probably my skin but I find it thick, hard to blend and it leaves my skin feeling very sticky.I have normal to dry skin so I don't see how this would work for someone with oily skin, it'd be a mess.

Micellar water - I've used a few different micellar waters and I don't understand why people love them so much. Sure they remove make-up, but they aren't great with eye make-up and still require a lot of rubbing to get all my eye make-up off. I'm happier with balm and oil cleansers. 


What do you think? Do you love any of these products? Is there anything I've missed?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks so much for your comment!